Marketing the Marketing Team
I’m a bit behind in my blogging. After getting home from GCDS, and spending the weekend with the family, and then catching up on work after a week of vacation, I’m way overdue to blog.
The GNOME Marketing BoF was the last session on Thursday at GCDS, and the last I attended before heading home Friday. Even with the room hot and sticky, everyone was engaged, and had lots of great ideas and feedback to share. I’d like to give a great big thank you to those that were in attendance, especially as the annual football match and local tour were going on at the same time.
We’ve got a lot going on – some of the things we discussed that we need to add or update in our release calendar include:
- GNOME 3.0 Marketing Campaign – Feedback was great, lots of stuff to do! From the campaign itself to writing and presenting at conferences to creating a video campaign, there is a lot of cool stuff we can do to educate GNOME users about the changes GNOME 3.0 will introduce.
- Case studies. Putting together case studies on the success GNOME and its downstream partners have can be a powerful tool. And a big thank you to Novell offering, and immediately following through, on a great success story.
- Social Media. Starting with Thomas’ PR talk on Wednesday, and continuing on Thursday, a lot of great ideas were shared that show there is a lot of low hanging fruit we can do in the social marketing space.
- GNOME Press Team. More to come on this soon! The short story is we have an opportunity to build a team that tracks worldwide events and talk about them to the press. This includes conferences, talks, events and more, and helping put the press releases together and be available as a contact to journalists to answer questions.
- GNOME website. I’m going to send out an update soon on the content the marketing team is responsible for in writing and editing for the new gnome.org.
- Friends of GNOME. We’ve had some great success so far this year in raising money to help GNOME. And there is more coming! We need to continue to build on this success through fundraising activity, and we have some cool things planned.
If you’re interested in helping out and spreading the word about GNOME, now is a great time to join the Marketing team !