ESPN held a poll yesterday around NFL hold outs and their reader’s thoughts. I thought it was fairly interesting to post the results (Man, did I get the Shaun Alexander question wrong at the bottom):
Vote: Do players have a right to hold out?
Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.
Your responses in bold text below.
1) Do you feel there is a legitimate difference between teams saving money by cutting players for performing below expectations and players holding out for more money after exceeding expectations?
2) Given that the average NFL career lasts just 3.2 years and NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, what do you think about players who hold out to renegotiate a contract?
66.1% They’re being selfish and should honor the contract they signed.
33.9% It’s a business, and they have to look out for themselves first.
3) Are there instances where you’ve supported a player holding out for a new contract?
4) How important do you think training camp is for rookies?
97.7% Very important
2.2% A little important
0.1% Not important at all
5) How important do you think training camp is for veteran players?
55.8% A little important
39.9% Very important
4.3% Not important at all
6) What do you think of Terrell Owens’ contract situation?
86.8% He signed a deal which made him one of the highest paid receivers, so he should play.
13.2% He earned a better deal through his performance last season.
7) What do you think of agent Drew Rosenhaus?
62.9% He’s a greedy SOB.
37.1% He’s just trying to do what’s best for his clients.
8) Which of these potential holdouts would be the biggest loss to his team?
40.1% Terrell Owens
33.9% Edgerrin James
17.1% Javon Walker
6.9% Richard Seymour
2.1% Sean Taylor
9) What do you think of Brett Favre’s criticism of Javon Walker holding out in Green Bay?
76.4% Favre is right, and as a team leader, he has an obligation to speak out and get a key player back.
23.6% Favre has always been taken care of; he should support a teammate trying to secure a better deal or say nothing.
10) Which of the following franchise or transition players who hasn’t signed is most likely to be a long holdout?
60.2% Shaun Alexander (Seahawks)
19.2% John Abraham (Jets)
14.1% Corey Simon (Eagles)
6.5% Bubba Franks (Packers)
Total Votes: 31,056