ESPN held a poll yesterday around NFL hold outs and their reader’s thoughts. I thought it was fairly interesting to post the results (Man, did I get the Shaun Alexander question wrong at the bottom):
Vote: Do players have a right to hold out?
Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.
Your responses in bold text below.
- Do you feel there is a legitimate difference between teams saving money by cutting players for performing below expectations and players holding out for more money after exceeding expectations?
- Given that the average NFL career lasts just 3.2 years and NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, what do you think about players who hold out to renegotiate a contract?
66.1% They’re being selfish and should honor the contract they signed.
33.9% It’s a business, and they have to look out for themselves first.
- Are there instances where you’ve supported a player holding out for a new contract?
- How important do you think training camp is for rookies?
97.7% Very important
2.2% A little important
0.1% Not important at all
- How important do you think training camp is for veteran players?
55.8% A little important
39.9% Very important
4.3% Not important at all
- What do you think of Terrell Owens’ contract situation?
86.8% He signed a deal which made him one of the highest paid receivers, so he should play.
13.2% He earned a better deal through his performance last season.
- What do you think of agent Drew Rosenhaus?
62.9% He’s a greedy SOB.
37.1% He’s just trying to do what’s best for his clients.
- Which of these potential holdouts would be the biggest loss to his team?
40.1% Terrell Owens
33.9% Edgerrin James
17.1% Javon Walker
6.9% Richard Seymour
2.1% Sean Taylor
- What do you think of Brett Favre’s criticism of Javon Walker holding out in Green Bay?
76.4% Favre is right, and as a team leader, he has an obligation to speak out and get a key player back.
23.6% Favre has always been taken care of; he should support a teammate trying to secure a better deal or say nothing.
- Which of the following franchise or transition players who hasn’t signed is most likely to be a long holdout?
60.2% Shaun Alexander (Seahawks)
19.2% John Abraham (Jets)
14.1% Corey Simon (Eagles)
6.5% Bubba Franks (Packers)
Total Votes: 31,056