The “Last” Science Fiction / Fantasy Meme
- The last sf/f book I finished reading: Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey
- The last sf/f book I did NOT finish: Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (I loved The City & the City but just could not finish this one. It’s very rare for me to not finish a book.)
- The last sf/f book(s) I bought: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
- The last sf/f book I bought that I already owned: Reamde by Neal Stephenson (I buy all of his books in hardcover and Amazon had the Kindle version for $2. Couldn’t resist).
- The last sf/f book I shared with someone: A Game of Thrones (a co-worker is sucked into the TV series and wanted to read the books. He agrees the books are even better, as good as the HBO series is).
- The last sf/f book I raved about: Ancillary Justice – I just started reading it this weekend and am already raving about it. We’ll see how the end is.
- The last sf/f book I did not enjoy at all: There Goes the Galaxy by Jenn Thorson. It was another Kindle deal for free or a buck. If you look at the reviews, it has 33 5 star reviews and 21 4 star reviews (54 out of 61 reviews). It was trite, the writing wasn’t all that great and you could see the end coming a mile away. It tried way too hard to be in the vein of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and just didn’t pull it off.
If you’re not reading SFSignal , you should be – it’s worth it for the daily round-up of links to discounted and free eBooks alone. There is a very good reason they won the Hugo for best Fanzine this year.