Part 1: Setting up Azure Pipelines with SSH keys Part 2: Setting up Azure Pipelines (or watching it work on Python 3.6 and fail on Python 3.7) Part 3: Finishing Setup It turns out that all the problems I was having for about ten days in trying to learn Azure Pipelines for continuous integration that I briefly touched on in Part 2 had nothing to do with me. There was a bug in Azure’s hosted images of Ubuntu used in the CI pipeline that did not include SQLite, as Python lists it as an optional module.
Part 1: Setting up Azure Pipelines with SSH keys Part 2: Setting up Azure Pipelines (or watching it work on Python 3.6 and fail on Python 3.7) Using Dependabot to manage Python dependencies All I want is to start coding. I want to learn how to write a Pyramid app the correct way and also to start learning pytest. There’s just one more thing to do and one to tweak in Azure and then it’s time for the fun part - the actual learning and coding.
In Part 1, I covered the challenges I had in setting up my SSH key with Azure Pipelines to work with my existing Github repository, which contains a new Pyramid project without any customization (yet).
Now that Azure Pipelines could build my project, I spent the last week after that trying to figure out why builds would fail on Azure with Python 3.7, not with Python 3.6 or on my local development machine.
Introduction I’m still on my quest to learn more Python and at the top of that list is learning pytest. I just can’t wrap my head around testing and I know my two Pyramid apps aren’t “complete” until there are tests. (I did write docs, so I have that going for me).
A couple months ago I (very easily) added continuous integration to NFLPool using Microsoft’s Azure Pipelines. I, like many other people, have been blown away by the right turn Microsoft made a few years back to embrace open source, and wanted to give Azure Pipelines a try.
It was a good week for Python and me.
In no particular order:
MLBPool2 I pushed a major re-write of MLBPool2 to production just days before the baseball season ended. Why didn’t I wait until the baseball season was over before pushing a major update? Because MySportsFeeds this summer upgraded their API from 1.x to 2.0 and it included a big change to how they track team standings, especially playoff standings.
tl;dr: I don’t get testing, but thanks to Talk Python I’m starting to put it together. If you’ve taken both the Python for Entrepreneurs course and the Building Data Driven Web Apps with Pyramid this might help you write tests using the Python for Entrepreneurs code. And if you’ve taken courses at Talk Python, take advantage of the office hours!
I don’t get testing in Python at all. I don’t have a computer science degree and Python is a hobby for me.
Alternative title: There is No Offseason (or writing my Python apps never ends and that’s ok) The blogging might slow down some, but the coding never stops. Ok, well maybe a little. After creating and launching MLBPool2 this past spring, I took a small break and then back at it for the upcoming season of NFLPool.
I have two big goals for NFLPool before the 2018 season starts:
Fix the time / timezone issue where a player tried to submit his picks before the first game of the season started to, but was denied.
Humble Bundle has done it again. They’ve released an awesome bundle of Python trainings, books and tools all for a low price and also supports charity!
Included in the bundle are three trainings from Talk Python (which I’ve already raved about a lot). I’ve been an ardent supporter of Talk Python trainings and have recommended them numerous times on the Python subreddits, and usually get comments that they’re so expensive (when compared to Udemy’s “sale prices” of $13).
When I first learned to work with Pyramid thanks to the Talk Python course Python for Entrepreneurs, I used the account registration system directly from the course for NFLPool. When I wrote MLBPool2, I augmented it to require the user to use a much stronger password than the course taught. (You can see the original code from NFLPool here).
In MLBPool2, I required the user to use a password between 8 and 24 characters and it must have at least one lowercase letter, at least one upper case letter, a number, and a symbol:
For once in my life, I’m not procrastinating. With the NFL season just over four and a half months away, I’ve already started on working to update NFLPool.
I’m really enjoying working with Python and don’t want to let the few things I’ve learned get rusty. This includes back porting a number of updates from MLBPool2.
I’ve updated the Standings page to display all seasons played (before it defaulted to just the current season).